Pages

Thursday, December 2, 2010

The Clearance Aisle

One of the most important things that I have learned about saving and coupon clipping is the importance of checking the clearance aisle or the clearance section. During the Holiday season, I especially look in the clearance aisle to save money on gifts. I have less money to spend on my son this year than I have for the past six years. Usually my goal is to have twenty gifts under the tree for him, but this year, my goal is to have ten gifts that I know he wants. One of this top requests this year has been for the new WowWee Pamper Jamz guitar, straps, drums, and amp. This whole package would usually cost around $70. With great disappointment, I asked him to choose between the guitar and the drums. When he finally settled on the guitar, I rushed out to the Walgreens black Friday sale where they were priced $14.99 (down from $24.99) and using some saved Register Rewards, I was able to purchase the guitar for $10.99 and the guitar strap for free (usually $5.99).


Even though I was able to get his amazing deal, I still felt guilty knowing that he was sacrificing the drums for the guitar. I was shopping in target this weekend, and imagine my surprise when I saw the drums in the clearance aisle for only $2.98. Not only was I happy that I live in the clearance aisle, but I was also happy that I would be able to surprise my son with a great Christmas gift. The drums were not in the box and looked as if they were being used for in-store demostration, however when I rushed home to try them out with fresh batteries, they drums were as good as new and what does a retail box matter to a six year old anyway.

The WowWee Paper Jamz toys can be found HERE

When I started "couponing" I never thought about using coupons on clearance and sale items, but that's actually how you save the most money. Instead of using coupons on the regular price, use your coupons when you can find items on sale. I can't tell you how much deodorant, soap, toothbrushes, and toothpaste I have gotten for free because I waited for the sale. More on "couponing" and sales to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment